- This medication is used to treat a wide variety of bacterial infections. This medication is known as a cephalosporin antibiotic. It works by stopping the growth of bacteria.
- This antibiotic treats only bacterial infections. It will not work for viral infections (e.g., common cold, flu). Unnecessary use or misuse of any antibiotic can lead to its decreased effectiveness.
- Diarrhea, nausea/vomiting, or headache may occur. If any of these effects persist or worsen, notify your doctor or pharmacist promptly.
- Remember that your doctor has prescribed this medication because he or she has judged that the benefit to you is greater than the risk of side effects. Many people using this medication do not have serious side effects.
- Tell your doctor right away if any of these unlikely but serious side effects occur: swelling of the ankles/feet, tiredness, fast/pounding heartbeat, trouble breathing, new signs of infection (e.g., fever, persistent sore throat), dark urine, persistent nausea/vomiting, yellowing eyes/skin, easy bruising/bleeding, signs of kidney problems (such as change in the amount of urine).
- Before taking cefpodoxime proxetil, tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are allergic to it; or to penicillins or other cephalosporin antibiotics (e.g., cephalexin); or if you have any other allergies. This product may contain inactive ingredients, which can cause allergic reactions or other problems. Talk to your pharmacist for more details.
- Before using this medication, tell your doctor or pharmacist your medical history, especially of: kidney disease, stomach/intestinal disease (e.g., colitis).
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you remember. If it is near the time of the next dose, skip themissed dose and resume your usual dosing schedule. Do not double the dose to catch up.
Store the tablets at room temperature between 68-77 degrees F (20-25 degrees C) away from light and moisture. Do not store in the bathroom.